Friday, December 21, 2012

The End

So it's December 21, 2012.

Actually, it's early morning on the 22nd by now in the eastern reaches of the globe.

And the world's still here.

The verse I shared with friends days before May 23, 2011, Harold Camping's prediction of the End by adding and multiplying several unrelated numbers in the Bible, still applies today:

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only."

Synoptically stated in both Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32.

So even though Camping is supposedly a Christian, he evidently didn't take the Bible too seriously.

The Mayans, on the other hand, weren't even trying to predict anything; they just thought planning out their calendar a couple of thousand years would be enough to suit their purposes. They most likely figured they would have ample time to update but were unfortunately too busy finding themselves on the wrong side of a certain clash of civilizations with the Spaniards to be bothered to edit their calendar.

That said, the question remains: what if today was the "last day?"

What would I do, how would I act?

Well, Paul certainly lived as if the end were near (see Philippians 4:5) - he even told people not to get married partially with this in mind.  He spread the Gospel and went through untold amounts of pain and hardship, knowing that Jesus could come back at any moment.

So do I live my life the same way?

Ashamedly, no.

My close friend made the apt point that if the world was ending tomorrow (or today) it shouldn't change the way we live our lives as Christians; we should always be sharing the Gospel with the expectation that Jesus' return is imminent.

So although I do share my faith with others from time to time, typically in a dialogue whereby I listen to them describe their beliefs first and foremost, this should serve as a reminder to me to do so more often and with a greater sense of the gravity of such conversations.  I invited a friend to church this week as a matter of fact - I hope God continues to provide opportunities like that as I become more obedient in following through on them.

Although it seems like it's taking awhile for Jesus to return, Peter points out in 2 Peter 3:8-10:

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief."

So I don't pray that Jesus would return soon anymore; I pray for more time for people to repent and believe, and for me to help in that process any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment